This is a course that takes the guess work out of planning for and handling a ‘Difficult Conversation’ successfully. It provides a step-by-step guide in respect of the PROCESS that participants are encouraged to follow before, during and after the said conversation. It has been designed and is relevant for people from all walks of life and there is no reason why it cannot also be shared with young adolescents, particularly those who are actually about to be one of the participants (‘conversation partners’) in an imminent ‘Difficult Conversation’, so that they know what to expect or demand from the point of view of best practice!
The course is based on an Observe, Do, Review approach which is vital for achieving a successful outcome. It helps participants recognise that it is worth making the time and effort to ‘do their homework’ in terms of adequate planning and preparation for the ‘Difficult Conversation’. Moreover, this approach prompts them to give due care and attention to matters that might not have appeared that obvious or important at first.
Participants are encouraged to make notes and to date them so that they can identify change, however subtle or significant over time. By completing the process in a planned way, participants are more likely to end up with a clear rationale for their choices-cum-decisions as well as be more confident about their execution.
The concept of Healing vs Harm is one which underpins the ethos of this entire course and forms an integral part of each of the 5 modules. The aim of this concept is to ensure that the ‘conversation partners’ focus their energies on achieving resolutions, however short- or long-term, that benefit and provide a sense of healing for all parties. This concept looks at how to reduce the likelihood of the experiences and/or outcomes, arising from the ‘Difficult Conversation’, being harmful or to the detriment to anyone who has been involved.
The course boasts a mini Pre- and Post-Course Self-Assessment Tool, an accompanying worksheet for each of the 5 modules as well as other supporting documents and relevant resources which can be printed off in the moment and kept for future reference. In addition, a Certificate of Completion is available to participants that should serve as a reminder of the learning they have undertaken as well as the gains that they have achieved as a result of their commitment and endeavours.
Lyn is committed to supporting Continuous Professional/Personal Development (CPD) in adults and adolescents alike and delivers empathic personal coaching as well as dynamic and credible strategies so that the teaching and learning experience is both manageable and effective.
Participants can practise the strategies as often as they want or need and at a pace to suit them so that they can succeed at mastering the strategies over time. It’s a great feeling, having put the work in, when you get the results you desire and deserve. In turn this can provide a great source of satisfaction, pride and impetus for future projects or ambitions!
Lyn is passionate and dedicated to her work. Above all else, her aim is both to offer and continue to offer participants, irrespective of their age or background, the opportunity to secure the best possible outcomes for themselves and/or others. With this in mind there may be future additions to the course content over time. Once you have enrolled, however, you will have lifetime access to the course and materials, including any future additions.
BRILLIANT FOR ANYONE WHO:
- wants to learn at a time AND pace to suit them
- wants to behave in a way that sets a good example and/or precedent for themselves or others to follow
- wants to explore ways of collaborating with others in order to maximise the potential for positive outcomes for all parties
- wants to achieve and maintain better relationships with others, particularly at challenging and/or difficult times
- wants to achieve a greater feeling of satisfaction, pride and motivation
- wants to increase their self-belief, confidence and resilience when dealing with a challenging and/or difficult situation
- wants to learn more about how to model pro-social behaviour
- is committed to the concept of Continued Professional/ Personal Development (CPD)
- desires positive, yet realistic and sustainable change
Self-care is promoted throughout this course as is being mindful of other people’s sensitivities and/or limitations. Participants are encouraged to recognise and celebrate gains when they happen, as well as continue to sustain any positive changes.
Equally, participants are encouraged to accept that setbacks are inevitable from time to time and to regard them as nothing other than a temporary interruption so that the focus remains on achieving an outcome that is preferably desirable and sustainable for all parties.
THE MAINS AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THIS COURSE ARE TO:
- empower adults and adolescents
- promote change and positive gain while decreasing the likelihood of conflict
- teach concrete ideas and strategies that make a real and practical difference to everyday life
- decrease stress, through use of a manageable step-by-step formula that is easy to follow and implement
ON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE PARTICIPANTS WILL BE BETTER PLACED TO:
- prepare for and handle a Difficult Conversation more successfully!
- reflect, without judgement, on their contribution to the process!
- gain understanding and clarity in terms of people’s roles!
- recognise the influence/importance of managing their emotional states and those of others
- recognise and acknowledge their limits and those of others!
- recognise urgency and what’s at stake!
- be clear about what matters and what’s relevant!
- be clear about what is negotiable or non-negotiable!
- understand the impact of certain factors or ‘sensitivities’!
- build an atmosphere of understanding and respect rather than one of conflict!
- create conditions for open and honest communication to promote and build trust with others!
- give due consideration to safeguarding issues (Safety Plan)!
1) Technology: The ability to use a PC at a beginner level
- Internet access to view and download on-line course materials
- PDF reader and viewer software, to access course documents
- A printer, (optional), for printing course materials
- A proactive desire to invest in yourself, the child and the family
- A wish to act on the opportunity to ‘get it right’ more of the time
- A gut or heart-based instinct that ‘now’ is the time to seek support
- A willingness to tap into expertise and ‘know-how’ to make gains
- A determination not to allow time or other limitations to hold you back from making the gains you want
- A willingness to put into practice what you learn
- A readiness to work towards being the best version of your current self
- A commitment to a) ALLOW yourself the space/time to learn and practise in order for gains to happen, to b) ACCEPT that gains are possible for you and to c) BELIEVE that you can succeed in making the gains you want as a result of your endeavours.
3) Time Investment
Each of the videos for the individual strategies are typically 15-20 minutes, the content of which can be re-visited, practised (with the aid of the relevant supporting documents) and implemented at a pace to suit you
4) Financial Investment
Apart from the initial course fee, there are no specific books or articles that must be purchased or read by those who enrol.
There is, however, a Suggested Reading List and it includes a range of books which the Tutor and Parents, Carers and/or Professionals have found helpful in covering the topics included in the course outline. RedKite Coaching Solutions has no affiliations to any of the authors/publishers of suggested materials.
If you are less than fully satisfied with this course, you can claim a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
Music by Sam Childs (Dyslexic), Film & Sound by Aleksi Makinen (ADHD)
© 2020 Lyn Oualah, RedKite Coaching Solutions
The Process - Who, What, Why, When & Where (5W = 1H)FREE PREVIEW
Content, Structure & Principles of this CourseFREE PREVIEW
The Process-cum Formula for handling 'Difficult Conversations' successfully!FREE PREVIEW
About Me and what I can do for you!FREE PREVIEW
Pre-Post course Assessment Tool for Parents/CarersFREE PREVIEW
1Q - WHO?
1Q Who? (Activity sheet)
2Q - WHAT?
2Q What? (Activity Sheet)
3Q - WHY?
3Q Why? ( Activity Sheet)
4Q - WHEN?
4 When? ( Activity Sheet)
5Q - WHERE?
5 Where? ( Activity Sheet)
Post Course Gains, Reflections & Next Steps!
Checklist x 4 (Infosheet)
Healing v Harm (Infosheet)
15 Top Tips to Tackle Difficult Conversations (Infosheet)
Our Lenses and The Stories We Tell Ourselves (Infosheet)
Glossary of Terms (Infosheet)
1. OBSERVE - Frequency Tally Sheet (Template)
1i. OBSERVE - Frequency Tally Sheet (Case Study)
1 OBSERVE - ABC Tally Sheet (Template)
1ii. OBSERVE - ABC Tally Sheet (Case Study)
2a. DO - Rude + Answering Back (Case Study 'A')
2b. DO - Hitting Sibling (Case Study 'B')
2c. DO - Clothes on Floor (Case study 'C')
3. REVIEW - Template
3. REVIEW - Rude + Answering Back (Case Study 'A')
3. REVIEW - Hitting Sibling (Case Study 'B')
3. REVIEW - Clothes on Floor (Case Study 'C')
Certificate of Completion
I think this course has been amazingly helpful and that other parents/carers will find it equally helpful. You get helpful tips and an understanding of where exactly you, the parent, need to come from to make things work. The course was very easy ...Read More
I think this course has been amazingly helpful and that other parents/carers will find it equally helpful. You get helpful tips and an understanding of where exactly you, the parent, need to come from to make things work. The course was very easy to follow and is welcoming from the start. Best of all, it wasn't at all scary so that you'd want to shut it down and look later! It covered structures and boundaries in a way that not only make sense to the child but also to the parents so that together they can start to learn more about these and have a easier life/family home that works differently but purposefully as a result.Read Less
The course was helpfully broken down into small chunks for easy digestion, with plenty of reminders of the key messages, taking you step by step through what was needed for difficult conversations. The downloadable notes and worksheets were well f...Read More
The course was helpfully broken down into small chunks for easy digestion, with plenty of reminders of the key messages, taking you step by step through what was needed for difficult conversations. The downloadable notes and worksheets were well formulated and the whole approach was very down to earth.Read Less
A course full of invaluable tips about establishing trust and expectations, for all those involved in any conversation. Lyn's approach is all about seeking to create a shared sense of achievement and responsibility, especially within difficult ...Read More
A course full of invaluable tips about establishing trust and expectations, for all those involved in any conversation. Lyn's approach is all about seeking to create a shared sense of achievement and responsibility, especially within difficult conversations. Echoing some earlier feedback - this course is time very well spent.Read Less
I got this course on behalf of a friend who didn’t want to admit she was struggling for ideas, there is more to the process than meets the eye and there are some useful ideas. Although I don't have children myself, I can see how the scripts are wo...Read More
I got this course on behalf of a friend who didn’t want to admit she was struggling for ideas, there is more to the process than meets the eye and there are some useful ideas. Although I don't have children myself, I can see how the scripts are worth looking at for anyone who has children or works with children.Read Less
Easy to access and to read, the site is easy to get around and use.The course content is very well presented. Some lovely ideas and case studies are current and relevant really useful.
Easy to access and to read, the site is easy to get around and use.The course content is very well presented. Some lovely ideas and case studies are current and relevant really useful.Read Less
Thank you for a fabulous course that you have written in helping me prepare for and handle "Difficult Conversations". As a mum to three teenage lads, two with complex ASD and ADHD (amongst other things), the subject(s) are at times very hard, rea...Read More
Thank you for a fabulous course that you have written in helping me prepare for and handle "Difficult Conversations". As a mum to three teenage lads, two with complex ASD and ADHD (amongst other things), the subject(s) are at times very hard, real, intense and sensitive. As a result of this course, conversations have opened up from usual life stuff to real worries and concerns. I have learnt how to use strategies, listen, make trade-offs, encourage etc and have added many other tools to my virtual tool box. We’ve managed to sit and discuss at a level, that not only meets their needs but also my own and offer help and clarity along with positive solutions. I’ve found compromises and even found myself modelling some of the language laid out in the scripts that came with the course to good effect.Read Less